Invisalign – A Discreet Alternative to Braces
Invisalign was first invented in 1997, and since then it has gone on to become a popular orthodontic treatment for people seeking a more discreet alternative to metal braces. If you are one of the many Australians who are not entirely happy with your smile, you may be wondering whether you are a candidate for Invisalign. In this blog post, Big Smiles Dental will be sharing some insight into this orthodontic treatment and how it can help straighten your teeth and restore confidence in your smile.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a treatment which utilises a series of clear plastic aligners worn on the upper and lower teeth. The aligners fit snugly over the teeth, applying sufficient pressure to gradually shift the teeth into their correct positions. Invisalign clear aligners are custom made for each patient to ensure optimal fit and comfort, and the trays will be changed every 2 weeks until the desired results are achieved. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign does not require any brackets or wires. Because clear aligners are removable, there is no need to make changes to your dietary habits.
The Invisalign Process
- Initial consultation and confirmation of eligibility for Invisalign.
- Your dentist will prepare a set of plastic aligners based on X-ray images and 3D scans of your teeth.
- Aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours a day, only being removed during eating and brushing.
- Check in with your dentist on a regular basis. Your dentist will monitor your process and provide you with new aligners every 2 weeks.
- Total Invisalign treatment time is typically around 6-12 months. In some cases, successful results can be achieved in as little as 3 months. Once your beautiful new smile has been achieved, it’s time to get out there and show it off.
Benefits of Invisalign Vs Metal Braces
For many adults and teenagers, the idea of wearing braces can feel quite daunting. Invisalign offers a clear, inconspicuous way to achieve a straighter smile that is almost invisible to onlookers. Invisalign is also a faster process, typically taking around 12 months whereas braces usually require around 18-24 months.
People who opt for Invisalign over metal braces enjoy the following benefits:
- Inconspicuous orthodontic treatment which doesn’t compromise on appearance
- Superior comfort
- Easier to maintain good oral hygiene
- Unlike braces, clear aligners do not carry the risk of cutting lips/cheeks on brackets
- Ability to remove clear aligners when brushing/flossing and eating
- Unrestricted diet – enjoy all your favourite foods
- Straightforward solution for mild to moderate orthodontic issues (underbites, overbites, spacing/crowding issues etc.)
Looking to Enjoy a Straighter Smile? Contact Big Smiles Dental Today
Invisalign makes it possible to achieve a straight smile without the unsightly appearance and hassle of metal and wires getting in the way. This makes it an attractive option for teenagers and adults with busy social and professional lives; as your friends, family and colleagues will be none the wiser to your orthodontic treatment. To learn more about Invisalign at Big Smiles Dental, please click here.
Start your journey towards achieving a beautiful new smile, contact Big Smiles Dental today on (02) 9921-1799 to book an Invisalign consultation. We look forward to seeing you at our Little Bay dental clinic soon.